Mosedale Gillatt Architects designed a new heritage visitor centre, providing much needed facilities including education, cafe and office spaces within a £3 million NLHF funded restoration of this historic Victorian park.
Close to the city centre and offering views over the city, Wharton Park originally opened in 1858. It has been the site of many public, political and celebratory events over the years, including the first Durham Miner's Gala.
Our work in the Park also included the restoration of a Grade II listed viewing structure known as The Battery, providing what is felt to be one of the finest views over Durham in the area.
Photo credit - Southern Green (image 1) Esh (images 2, 4)
Durham County Council
grade II | restoration | repair |
contemporary new build
HIGHLY COMMENDED - Landscape Institute Awards (Heritage and Conservation)